Is your pharmacy ready for the Falsified Medicines Directive (FMD) deadline on 9th February 2019?
How does FMD affect you?
FMD is a European legislation designed to protect the medicines supply chain by removing any falsified medicinal product sold across Europe. (follow this link to find out more about this Directive).
Under the Falsified Medicine Directive, all new packs of prescription medicines placed on the market in Europe from 9/2/2019 onwards will have to feature 2 safety features: a unique identifier (UI) in the form of a 2D data matrix barcode and an anti-tampering device (ATD).
In order to reduce the risk of falsified medicines reaching patients, community pharmacies will have to authenticate each pack as part of the dispensing process before the medicine is supplied. Authenticity is checked in 2 ways:
- visual inspection of the tamper-evident features
- scanning and checking UI against databases at EU and national levels
We provide a range of barcode scanning solutions designed to be used in pharmacy stores
- we offer a range of hands-free, fixed mount and on-counter barcode scanners. For full details on our barcode scanner product offering, click here
- available either as Bluetooth or WiFi devices
- all devices are compatible with Trust Pharmacy systems
- all devices are able to read GS1 compliant barcodes